- Elected member of the Duluth school board from 2009 to 2018 representing West Duluth.
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) licensed to practice in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oregon, Puerto Rico, and Florida.
- Past President of the Duluth Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Specializes in building design, bridge design, construction, contract administration, indoor air quality, historical renovation, and energy conservation.
- Worked for 22 years as a structural engineer on a regional design team for the federal government. Worked for the Wisconsin DOT for several years. Now is a private consultant with his own firm.
- Member of the National Federation of Federal Employees Union and the International Assoc. of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (retired). Organized three local chapters. Chief Steward for Wisconsin for 10 years. Legislative chairperson for the national union for six years. Specialized in federal budgets, political action, and grievances.
- 7th Senate District DFL Executive Committee Director for four years, now caucuses with the Republicans
- Instructor for tower rescue and safety.
- Art grew up on a family farm in northern Minnesota and worked for many years as a commercial fisherman, prior to becoming an engineer.
- Long time property owner in the Twin Ports
Community and Education Service
- Certified Phase I, Phase II, Phase III, and Phase IV seminars of the Minnesota School Board Association.
- Frequently met with the Education Finance committee’s members of the Minnesota Legislature
- Former school board member on the Educational Equity Advisory Committee.
- Former School board liaison to the Duluth Park and Rec Board, and Trail Committee member
- Commodore, Barker’s Island Yacht Club
- Certified Judge and Race Official with U.S. Sailing
- Instructor for community education class for Celestial Navigation
- Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, University of Wisconsin, Superior high honors
- Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, Michigan Technological University summa cum laude
Parent of two sons; one a graduate of Minnesota State University in Mankato and an automotive engineer working for Polaris Industries; the other with a PhD in musicology from the University of Michigan and working for U of M.
Partnered and foster parent with Jane Bushey who is an LPN and paraprofessional in the Duluth Schools. Jane has two children: her son has an MBA and works in the financial market in Chicago; and her daughter is finishing her masters in Spanish Education and works in Manizales, Colombia.
Sailing, downhill and cross country skiing, pickup hockey and volleyball, caving, SCUBA diving, amateur radio, road rally driver and mechanic, tower climbing, rock climbing, energy conservation and alternative energy (lived for 15 years off the grid in northern Minnesota).
More info: http://www.truthinduluth.com/